Mold Exposure; Was it Responsible For Brittany Murphy’s Death
Brittany Murphy’s mother is blaming toxic mold found in the late star’s home for killing her daughter and son-in-law and is launching a lawsuit against her former lawyers for allegedly preventing her from filing a wrongful death case.
Read the story here……
First of all, let’s understand what Mold is. Molds are part of the natural environment. Outdoors, molds play a part in nature by breaking down dead organic matter, such as fallen leaves and dead trees. But indoors, mold growth should be avoided. Molds reproduce by means of tiny spores; the spores are invisible to the naked eye and float through outdoor and indoor air. Mold growth may begin indoors when mold spores land on surfaces that are wet. There are many types of mold, and none of them will grow without water or moisture.
Can molds cause health problems?
Yes they can. But what kinds of health problems? Molds produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions), irritants and, in some cases, potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins). Mold exposure by touching mold or their spores or even inhaling them may cause allergic reactions. Mostly though the individual is usually sensitive who have allergic responses like hay fever-type symptoms. They may be sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash. The allergic reactions to mold and mold spores are common. They can be immediate or delayed. People with asthma who may be allergic to mold spores can have asthma attacks triggered by it’s presence. It’s been noted too that mold exposure can irritate the eyes, cause skin rash, nose, throat and lungs of both mold-allergic and non-allergic people.
If you are concerned about your own possible heath issues related to molds, consult your health professional. You can also consult your state or local health department.
Ten Things You Should Know About Mold
1. Potential health effects and symptoms associated with mold exposure include allergic reactions, asthma, skin rash and other respiratory complaints.
2. There is no practical way to eliminate all mold and mold spores in the indoor environment; the way to control indoor mold growth is to control moisture.
3. If mold is a problem in your home, you must clean up the mold and eliminate sources of moisture.
4. Fix the source of the water problem or leak to prevent mold growth.
5. Reduce indoor humidity (to 30% to 60%) to decrease mold growth by:
a. venting bathrooms, dryers, and other moisture-generating sources to the outside;
b. using air conditioners and de-humidifiers;
c. increasing ventilation such as using exhaust fans; and
d. using exhaust fans whenever cooking, dishwashing, and cleaning.
6. Clean and dry any damp or wet building materials and furnishings within 24 to 48 hours to prevent mold growth.
7. Clean mold off hard surfaces with water and detergent, and dry completely. Absorbent materials that are moldy (such as carpeting and ceiling tiles) may need to be replaced.
8. Prevent condensation. Reduce the potential for condensation on cold surfaces (i.e., windows, piping, exterior walls, roof and floors) by adding insulation.
9. In areas where there is a perpetual moisture problem, do not install carpeting.
10. Molds can be found almost anywhere; they can grow on virtually any substance, provided moisture is present. There are molds that can grow on wood, paper, carpet, and foods.
Odors or musty smells are often the first symptoms of black mold. This is because black mold grows in places that are not usually visible or in places that you can’t get to for cleaning, such as in cracks and crevices. Getting an odor does not necessarily mean you have toxic mold in your home, but it is definitely one of the symptoms that can alert you to the need for black mold testing. If the odors are present when the air-conditioning system is running, then these are serious toxic mold symptoms.
Yellowish stains on the walls are also symptoms of black mold. Black mold has a greenish color to it and when you notice the wall starting to stain underneath the wallpaper or coming through the paint, this is a symptom that you do have a serious mold problem. Toxic mold symptoms can also manifest themselves as the paint coming off the walls because of the excess moisture. One way you can find out if you do have black mold in the walls is to shine a black light on it. If you see a yellow glow, this is one of the symptoms of black mold in the wall.
Her mom is blaming the builders of the property for causing the deaths. How old was this house? I’m also curious as to what the extent was of the construction problems this property supposedly had. Did they even know they had a mold issue and was anything addressed even before their deaths?